In October, NOAA Fisheries published a final rule to improve the administration of the High Seas Fishing Compliance Act (HSFCA) and the monitoring of U.S. fishing vessels operating on the high seas.
The rule includes:
– adjustments to permitting and reporting procedures for all U.S. fishing vessels on the high seas.
– requirements for the installation and operation of enhanced mobile transceiver units for vessel monitoring
– requirements for carrying observers on vessels
– reporting of transshipments taking place on the high seas
– requirements for protection of vulnerable marine ecosystems.
The requirements went in effect on January 14, 2016.
source: NOAA Fisheries